John 4:6-26, 36-42
The Chosen film series is about Jesus inviting people: “Follow me.”
Why does Jesus choose the Samaritan woman? Why does he choose us?
We have been chosen to be transformed by Jesus.
I. How people change:
– Emotions – find what you are passionate about and pursue it
The way Jesus changes us is different
A. It is different in SCOPE (v.9)
– Because his life-changing power is for everyone.
– It is a gift, not a reward. You don’t earn it (v. 10)
B. The Change he offers is POWERFUL
v.10b “you would have asked him and he would have given you living water.”
– The living water Jesus is offering is really the Holy Spirit empowering your heart to experience the love, the presence, the pardon, the friendship and grace of Jesus.
– You don’t change because you have to, because you want to…it fills you.
C. Change is a PROCESS
-Jesus gently and patiently directs the conversation, while she tries to redirect it.
-The process is organic; it takes time. (ill. a wall vs a tree)
D. The Change Jesus brings is DEEP
v.13 Jesus answered, “Everyone who drinks this water will be thirsty again,
14 but whoever drinks the water I give them will never thirst.
-It’s about soul-satisfaction
-It’s about worship; and everyone worships.
“What we are worshiping we are becoming.” Our deities shape our identities.
– Ralph Waldo Emerson
II. How Jesus changes us
-By the GIFT of Living Water,
-He is the living water, who alone can satisfy