I Corinthians 16:1-3
- Conventional Wisdom: “Make sure you have a financial plan that lasts until the day you die.”
- Kingdom wisdom: “Make sure plan for the day after the day you die.”
- Why Practice? Very few people drift into generosity.
Observations about generous people
- Generous people believe giving is life’s greatest investment strategy.
- Paul’s new financial reality: the collection for God’s people.
- Jews and Gentiles had been enemies for centuries
- Change was prophesied: Isaiah 2:2-4
- The outcome of that strategic investment? Centuries later, the Church of Jesus Christ is still thriving.
- Generous people believe in God’s faithfulness.
- Practice giving on the first day of the week.
- In the Jesus community, the first day was Resurrection Day.
- Practice Resurrection economics.
- Sowing vs Grasping (2 Corinthians 9:6-9)
You simply cannot outgive God
- Generous people don’t wait until they feel moved to give.
“Command those who are rich in this present world not to be arrogant… Command them to do good, to be rich in good deeds, and to be generous…” I Timothy 6:17-18
- “Denial makes me think I’m not rich even when I am, and denial makes me think I’m generous even when I’m not.” Andy Stanley
On the first day of every week each one of you should set aside a sum of money in keeping with your income…”
- If you wait until you feel generous to give, you will likely never grow into a truly generous person.
- Generous people don’t wait until they have excess cash.
“On the first day of the week, each one of you should set aside a sum of money in keeping with your income.”
- Giving happened in the ancient world…but it was always done to enhance the honor and status of the wealthy and powerful at the expense of their clients.
- For the first time giving was a communal activity.
- Tithing: giving God the first 10 percent of resources that come to you.
“Test me in this and see if I will not throw open the floodgates of heaven and pour out so much blessing that there will not be room enough to store it.” (Malachi 3:10)
- Take the Tithe Challenge
- Generosity is the road to human flourishing.