Restoration thru Confession
Recovery through Rescue
Paul’s Example: Corinth
I Corinthians 5:2 , II Corinthians 2:5
- Confession is when you go to someone and say: I have got a sin, I’m caught, I need help.
- Rescue is when you have to go to them and say: You are caught, and you need help.
Confession and Rescue are absolutely vital to the survival of any congregation
- Confession (James 5:16)
- Confess your sins to each other
- Confess: “to ratify, affirm”
- (Gr) Homologeo: “to speak the same”
- To Confess: “you were right, I did sin, I did hurt you, I was wrong Pray for me. Forgive me.” (I say the same that you say)
Kinds of Confessions
- Secret Confession: If you have sinned only to God, you should confess only to God.
- Private Confession: If you have sinned against one person, you should confess to that one person.
- Public Confession: If you have sinned against or in front of a whole community you should confess in front of the group.
The confession should be as broad, or as widespread as the sin.
- The Object of Confession is Restoration. It is to heal the relationship.
Levels of Confessions
- If you have sinned against someone, be willing admit the wrong you’ve done to damage the relationship.
- If somebody else thinks you sinned, and you’re not so sure you did – you must go to that person.(Matthew 5:23,24)
A Model of Confession- The Prodigal Son
I will arise and go to my father, and I will say to him, “Father, I have
- sinned against heaven
- and before you.
- I am no longer worthy to be called your son.
- Treat me as one of your hired servants.”
- It is a sin against God
- It is a sin before you (against the other person)
- It does not demand the relationship be restored normal
- It is doing things to show them that this will not happen again.
Confession: Only when you sin against someone? No. Hebrews 3:13)
To whom do you need to confess?
- Whom do we Rescue? People who have wandered from the truth
- It’s when you see a pattern of coldness, indifference toward God, moving away from other believers, from church – Search & Rescue!
- Search and Rescue is the job of every Christian
Whoever turns a sinner from the error of his ways will save him from death.
How to Rescue
- Be grieved over their wandering.
- Cover over their offense
Ch 5 v20 “For the one who restores the sinning believer back to God from the error of his way, …covers over countless sins by their demonstration of love!” (TPT)
- Remember Jesus – the true elder brother (Luke 15)
We have a seeking Lord who loves the one stray sheep, the one lost coin & the lost son.
When you go after a person who has wandered away, you represent the true elder brother. (Jesus) He came and rescued you.That is why you go to rescue them.