- James 1:1-12 deals with PAIN. “No pain – no gain.”
- Trials are inevitable.
Introduction James 1:18
- The term “born again” Christian is not a type of Christian. They are one and the same. (John 3:7, I Peter 1:23, I John 3:9, 4:7, 5:4)
- To be born again means we are partakers of the divine nature. (2 Ptr 1:4)
He (God) chose to give us birth through the word of truth .
Call #4 Go Low
(v.21) Humbly accept the word planted in you.
- Get rid of moral filth = ear wax
- Prevalent evil = root
- The same word that created your new heart is embodied in the Scripture.
- Let the Scripture search you.
How do I react when I am in the presence of Scripture?
The opposite of anger is not self-control, it is humility.
- . Get rid of pride.
Ways to check your heart for pride
1. A proud heart is sure of every point of its belief system.
2. A proud heart enjoys confronting or it avoids confronting.
3. A proud heart is always unhappy with its life.
Call #5 Look! (v.23-25)
There is something in our heart that doesn’t want to know what we look like.
- We tend to forget the good, and remember the bad.
- Never stop looking (v. 25) – take the mirror with you.
- The more I obey, the more I will be who God made me to be, and the more free I’ll be.
- Use the people around you to help you remember what you see.