|||Introduction: Like call signals, James
gives us tools to navigate our lives.
Call #1 Quick to listen. (v19)
- Listening is an act of humility.
- God listens. (Isaiah 65:24)
- The Shema (Dt. 6:4) God’s people were to orient their lives around hearing.
- Ask questions.
- Communicate through touch.
Call #2 Slow to speak (Proverbs 17:27-28)
- People who talk too often lack self-awareness.
- Sometimes during a conversation, just stop.
- Practice not interrupting.
What is behind my need to be heard?
What are my words saying about what is going on inside of me?
Call #3 Slow to anger
- James does not teach anger is sinful in and of itself.
- God, Jesus get angry.
- Anger: energy released to defend and to preserve.
Two ways you can tell if it’s gone bad in your life.
1. Bad anger is quick.
2. Bad anger leads to regret (v.20)