Our culture is anything but patient- producing.
What is patience?
- Two terms: v.7 “longsuffering”
- v.10-11 “perserverance” (to “hyper-stand”)
- Patience is not giving up or giving in. It is to be a standing-man/woman.
- Patience is not stoicism. (I won’t let it get to me)
- Patience is almost always linked to inner peace. (ch 5:11/Galatians 5:22)
Patience is steadiness in the face of delayed gratification and disappointment.
- The opposite of patience is irritability, grumbling and self-pity
Four MUST-HAVE kinds of patience
- Patience with life (ie the farmer)
- Nothing really worth anything is instantaneous
- Patience with people (I Peter 4:8, Pr. 17:9)
- Patience in suffering (Job and the prophets)
- Patience with God.
What can we do to develop patience?
- Process your disappointments with prayer
- Job never stopped praying
- Deliberately choose to be humble
- Behind our impatience:We think we KNOW.
- Instead say: IDK
- Choose your own growth (ch 1:2, Romans 5:3)
But he knows the way that I take; when he has tested me, I will come forth as gold.Job 23:10
- Remember God’s patience toward you.(Hebrews 12:2)
- Look to the future (ch 5:8)