Q: What does it really mean to believe something?
A: It is our behavior that reveals what we actually believe.
Three Levels of Belief
- What I claim to believe (creed)
- What I think I believe
- What I actually believe (mental map)
- Your mental map is your reality – it’s how and what you believe things really are, and you never violate your mental map.
- Your behavior (ie your “works”) reveal the truth about your mental map.
- Faith that is demonstrated by works is what James calls “saving faith.”
The Love of Money
- Leads to hoarding
- The Bible is not against saving. (Pr. 6:6-8)
- Leads to self-indulgence (James 5:5)
- According to James, the lifestyle I live and the lifestyle I am capable of living should not be the same.
- Leads to taking advantage of people (James 5:15)
- It is an unwillingness to sacrifice.
- Will rot your soul
- When you put your heart on what’s rusting, your heart will rust with it.
Dealing with Rust
- Behind the rust: You have forgotten what God has done for you.
James 5:6 You have condemned and murdered the righteous one who does not oppose.
- If you remember the one who died for you, you will have a different attitude toward everything in the world, including your money.
- Will you be like Mary or like Judas?