– Focus is fueled by desire (Php 3:13, I Cor 9:24
– Run to win!
– At its core, Christianity is an invitation to desire.
– Do you want to be made well? (John 5)
– What do you want me to do for you? (Mt 20:32)
– Anyone who drinks the water I give will never thirst—not ever. (John 4)
Where is your desire? Psalm 37:4
– I press on …Php 3:14. Lit. “aggressive energetic endeavor”
– Focus needs a goal. (the heavenly prize, the victor’s crown).
– Set goals that will have a lasting impact; a long term focus
– S.M.A.R.T. Goals: Specific, Measurable Attainable, Relevant, Timely
– Set B.H.A.G. (Big, Hairy, Audacious, Goals)
BHAG Examples: Jesus, Paul, Martin Luther, Abe Lincoln, etc.
What are aiming at? Is it big enough?
– To achieve your goal, you must have discipline.
– Focus requires self-control
Self-control is making decisions against yourself. – Jack Hayford
– Spiritual Growth: Whoever wants to be my disciple must deny themselves and take up their cross and follow Me.’ – Jesus
– Examples: Resisting temptation, relinquishing, obedience
What decision do you need to make against yourself?
– The more disciplined I am in one area of life, the more disciplined I am in another area of life.
– Deciding against yourself – Do not go it alone. Enlist an accountability partner