– Numerous studies have shown the connection between success in life and self-control.
-Without self-control you are not going to make wise choices and will end up messing up your life and the lives of those around you.
The Problem of Self-control.
– Pr. 23:19-21 Binging as a way of life
– Pr 25:28 Desires, passions, longings out of control – like a city w/o walls; a disaster waiting to happen
Self-control is the ability to recognize and choose the important thing over the urgent thing at any given moment.
The Principle of Self-Control
“The name of the Lord is a strong tower. The righteous run to it and are safe.”
“The wealth of the rich is their fortified city; they imagine it a wall too high to scale.”
– Everybody runs for their ultimate security into something.
The Practice of Self-Control
- Tell yourself the truth
– To run into the name of the Lord is to tell yourself who God really is.
- Win the D.A.Y.
Self-Control is deciding against yourself
– Set goals
I Corinthians 9:24-28
“Do you not know that in a race all the runners run, but only one receives the prize? So run that you may obtain it. Every athlete exercises self-control in all things. They do it to receive a perishable wreath, but wean imperishable. So I do not run aimlessly; I do not box as one beating the air. But I discipline my body and keep it under control, lest after preaching to others I myself should be disqualified.”
– Have a routine
“Very early in the morning while it was still dark, He got up and went out to a deserted place where He spent time with his heavenly Father.” (Mark 1:35)
- Choose a love relationship with God
– Ultimately, self-control comes from what you love the most.