Winning Together: Cut the Cord
Review: Today matters
- Winning TODAY is about habits we incorporate into our daily lives.
- Cutting the cord involves risk. But the greatest risk is taking no risk at all
“At the end of our life, 84% of our regrets will not be the mistakes we made,
but the opportunities we missed.”
–Tom Gilovich, psychologist
- Grand gestures become defining moments
The Bible is full of grand gestures:
– Noah builds a really big boat, go big, or go home.
– Abraham puts Isaac on the altar.
- The Israelites circle Jericho for seven days.
- Esther does a three day fast.
- Elisha burns his plowing equipment.
- Ezekiel lays on his left side for 390 days.
- James and John drop their nets.
- Peter gets out of the boat.
- Zacchaeus climbed a Sycamore tree and the
- The followers of Christ build a bonfire in Ephesus to burn their sorcery scrolls.
- Cut the Cord: “Leaving the Crowd Behind” v.36
“Take your Bible, take your newspaper and read both, but interpret newspapers from your Bible.”
- Karl Barth
- The average person spends 142 minutes on social media.
- If you want to turn up the still small voice of the Holy Spirit, you have to turn down the white noise.
- The loudest voice in your life is the one you listen to the most.
III. Cut the Cord: SLEEP
“Sleep is as important for good health as diet and exercise. Good sleep improves your brain performance, mood, and health…While you sleep, your brain is working. It’s preparing your brain to learn, remember, and create.”
- Article: “Good Sleep for Good Health” NIH, April 2021
- Sleep is a time for repair
- Cut the Cord: The Reaction
“The disciples woke him and said to him, “Teacher, don’t you care if we drown?”
- In crisis situations we are so quick to blame people. In stressful situations we assign wrong motives.
- It is much easier to act like a Christian than it is to react like one. But it is our reactions that reveal what’s really in our hearts.
- We cannot just regurgitate what we are consuming from our culture. We need a word from God.
- Cut the Cord: “Peace be still!”
– Now is the time for the people of God to exercise their spiritual
authority with humility.
– We shift the atmosphere by operating in the opposite spirit
– We underestimate our authority in Christ because we fail to understand who
we are in Christ and who Christ is in us.
- Cutting the Cord
“If my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and I will forgive their sin and will heal their land.”
- 2 Chronicles 7:14
- Stand up