Matthew 6 / Joshua 1
Jump into the study:
- Draw the Circle – devotional available in the lobby ($10)
- Join groups that are meeting Wednesday night at 7 (both men’s/women’s groups)/ Thursday 10am (ladies)
Drawing the Circle is about PRAYER.
- Prayer that is willing to circle the promises of God
- Prayer that dreams
- Prayer that doesn’t give up
- Prayer that believes in the God of the impossible, who works in big and small ways.
Drawing a circle is for emphasis (highlight what’s important, what needs attention)
- When you pray (Matthew 6)
- Pray specifically (ie. The Lord’s prayer)
- Babbling (v.7) – no believing, just repetition
- Our building: Circling God’s promise
I Samuel 7:10 And I will provide a place for my people Israel and will plant them so that they can have a home of their own and no longer be disturbed.
If you pray to God regularly, irregular things will happen on an regular basis
– Mark Batterson
Where you place your feet (Joshua 1)
“every place you set your foot, as I promised Moses”…
2 Corinthians 1:20 For no matter how many promises, God has made, they are “Yes” in Christ. And so through him the “Amen” is spoken by us to the glory of God.
- While circling the promises of God is a must, we must pray God’s promises in God’s will and for God’s glory.
What promises of God are you asking Him to fulfill in your life?
- The Practice of Prayer
- #40 is not magical, but it is biblical.
- The purpose of the forty-day prayer challenge is for each of us to create the habit of prayer.
- Pray with persistence (Mt. 7:7)
“Ask, (lit. keep on asking), seek (keep on seeking) Knock (keep on knocking)
- Persistent Prayer requires a place and time
- In Mt. 6: When you pray go into to your room
- Where is my place of prayer?
- Early believers had regular times for prayer each day.
- The Jewish people pray morning, afternoon, and evening prayers
- Prayer thrives in community
– The early believers “devoted themselves to the apostles’ teaching…and to prayer” (Acts 2:42 NIV).
- The outpouring of the Spirit on Pentecost (Acts 2:4)
- Acts 9/10 Peter and Cornelius
- Find a prayer partner