Moved by the Spirit
- The Movement of the Spirit
- Genesis 1:2 The Spirit hovers over the darkness, the chaos, the void
- Genesis 2:7 The Spirit animates – ruach (breath) of God
- Exodus 31 The Spirit anoints Bezalel
- Throughout the Gospels and in Acts the Holy Spirit moves upon people in various ways.
- Stirred by the Spirit
- Haggai 2:6 You can be stirred and not be shaken
- Haggai 1:1-5,13-14 Two Narratives, Two Realms, Two Kingdoms
One and God make a majority – Frederick Douglass
“So the Lord stirred the spirit of the spirit of Zerubbabel, the son of Shealtiel, governor of Judah, and the spirit of Joshua, son of Jozadak, the high priest, and the spirit of the whole remnant of the people. They came and began to work on the house of the LORD of hosts…”
- When God stirs up his people, it’s contagious.
BIG IDEA: All movement in our lives starts with a stirring.
- The Holy Spirit stirs us up with sanctified emotions
- Pay attention to what makes you cry, what makes you mad, or what makes you glad.
The Holy Spirit may be stirring your emotions as a call to act, serving God’s purpose. (Mt 9:36, 14:14 Mk 1:41, Ps. 37:4)
- The Holy Spirit stirs us with God ideas. (Haggai 2)
- Your vision is a reflection of your theology.
- The Holy Spirit stirs us with prophetic words. (Numbers 11:29, I Corinthians 14:1-5)
- Saying the right words at the right time can change the trajectory of a person’s life
“Let us consider how we may stir, how we may spur one another on towards love and good deeds.” Hebrews 12:24
- The Holy Spirit stirs us with holy discontent. (Dt. 32:11)
- If you don’t get out of the boat, you will never walk on water. If you don’t get out of the nest, you will never fly
- The Holy Spirit stirs us with Scripture
- Psalm 119 “quicken”
- When God’s Word gets into you, it begins to stir you into action.
Be filled with the Spirit (Ephesians 5:18)