Micah 6:8, I Timothy 2:1-3, Matthew 5:13-16, John 17:20-23
What is politics?
– Politics is the art or science of government
– The Scriptures teach that government is essential to a healthy, thriving society.
– Most Christians believe God created three institutions: family, government, and church.
– Politics is about making agreements between people so that they can live together in groups.
Why Politics Matter
– Politics shape our policies. Policies affect people’s lives, and God cares about people.
– God cares about all people, especially the vulnerable, the marginalized, the helpless, the poor.
I. How to Vote
While you may be attracted or offended by a candidate’s personality, it should not be a determining factor. Character is determined by in depth knowledge of an individual. Unfortunately much of what we know about the candidates is from 2nd or 3rd party sources.
– Remember your dual citizenship. When in conflict choose God’s kingdom over the kingdom of this world.
– Choose your faith filter over your party filter.
– Ask: what do the Scriptures say about the KEY issues?
– From a Biblical perspective –both “conservative” and “liberal” issues are addressed.
- Sanctity of life is affirmed (Psalm 139/Jeremiah 1:5)
- Two genders: Male and Female (Genesis 1:27)
- Pro-business: Work over welfare (Mt, 25 / 1 Thess 4:11/ 2 Thess 3:7-13)
- Greater wealth given to some more than others.(Mt 25, 1 Sam 2:7Ecclesiastes 5:19Proverbs 10:22)
- Family structure as the basic social structure for society and the church.(I Timothy 3:4,5 /5:8. Exodus 20:12 /Eph 5:25,33/ Dt. 6:1,2)
- Care for the poor (Leviticus 19:9-10 Dt. 15:7-11 / Jm 2:15-16
- Debt forgiveness. (Leviticus 25:25-30)
- Pro-environment. (Genesis 2:15 )
- Embrace the immigrant. (Leviticus 19:34, 27:19)
- Hatred of injustice; including economic, racial, and gender injustices. (Isaiah 1:17 , Micah 6:8)
Vote by examining platforms in light of the Scriptures
Resources on how to vote biblically:
– Well-versed World – Dr. Jim Garlow
Cites Scriptures which underscore current political issues
– AskDrBrown/ In the Line of Fire (broadcast on YouTube)
Dr. Michael Brown tackles the issues from a biblical perspective.
_I urge, then, first of all, that petitions, prayers, intercession and thanksgiving be made for all people— 2 for kings and all those in authority, that we may live peaceful and quiet lives in all godliness and holiness._ I Timothy 2:1-3
Jesus’ ASK: “Make them one”– the call for unity John 17:20-23
Jesus’ Appeal: “Shine your light” – the call for good works Matt 5:16
Jesus’ Command: “Love one another – that they may know and believe that You have sent me.” John 13:34,35