Discipleship moves in 3 directions: Up, In, Out
- Why Confession? (Psalm 32)
A. When we sin, we cover up (hide)
B. Confession is the change agent between who I am and who I want to be
KEY THOUGHT: You won’t address what you don’t confess.
- Confession is uncovering (Luke 18)
A. Jesus has two groups of followers:
- The poor (outcasts)
- The religious (who are threatened by Jesus
B. The Parable is addressed to those who cover up.
To some who were confident of their own righteousness and looked down on everyone else,
- “comparrogance” – arrogance based on comparison.
‘God, I thank you that I am not like other people’”
- The weird thing about the parable is that God seems to feel best about the person who felt worst about himself.
- Uncovering destroys “comparrogance.”
- Where to confess
A. Take it vertical – to God (I John 1:9)
B. Horizontal – to one another (James 5:16)