Introduction: To learn ab0ut supporting more seasons of the The Chosen goto this link:
We have been chosen to be transformed to testify
- 39 “Many of the Samaritans in that town believed because of the woman’s testimony.”
- What did she testify to?
- Testify: To bear witness that provides a firsthand authentication of a fact of importance to many people. (martyria)
- Her encounter with Jesus
- 29 “Come, see a man who told me everything I ever did. Could this be the Messiah?”
- This living water is for everyone.
- She’s bearing witness to a life-changing Savior of the world who saves by grace.
The Change he offers is POWERFUL
v.10b “you would have asked him and he would have given you living water.”
- The living water Jesus is offering is really the Holy Spirit empowering your heart to experience the love, the presence, the pardon, the friendship and grace of Jesus.
- You don’t change because you have to, because you want to…it fills you.
- How she testifies
- Transparency: This is what happened to me
- If you are not public with your faith, it’s because you’re hiding who you are; lying about who you are.
- Testifying is natural
- Simplicity: Come see a man
- Whereas other religion redirect people, “it’s not about me”, Jesus says:
I AM… the way (John 14:6) the Resurrection and the life (John 11:25)
- She knew she would be ridiculed, but she still told them anyway.
- She testified to the truth
- Why she was able to testify?
- Jesus knows everything about this woman and he still offers her living water.
- “I AM” – she encountered something so beautiful that makes her drop her water jars to tell others about Jesus.
- What did she see? A man who saw her to the bottom, and loved her to the skies.
“To be loved and not be known, is to be superficial and unsatisfying.
To be known and rejected for it, is our greatest nightmare.
To be fully known, and to be loved, unconditionally and endlessly and infallibly is heaven.”
– Tim Keller
- The Hour: How Jesus made it possible to testify (v.23)
But the hour is coming, and is now here, when the true worshipers will worship the Father in spirit and truth, for the Father is seeking such people to worship him.
- “the hour” in John’s Gospel always refers to Jesus’ death
- Salvation is by grace, not smarter, better, more moral, — by grace, it is a gift gift, and it humbles you.
- Grace gives you confidence to testify.