The Chosen -Episode 8
“Transformed to Testify”
John 4:6-26, 36-42
Introduction: The Chosen film series is about Jesus inviting people: “Follow me.”
Why does Jesus choose the Samaritan woman? Why does he choose us?
We have been chosen to be transformed by Jesus.
- How people change:
– Emotions – find what you are passionate about and pursue it
The way Jesus changes us is different
A. It is different in SCOPE (v.9)
- Because his life-changing power is for everyone.
It is a gift, not a reward. You don’t earn it (v. 10
B. The Change he offers is POWERFUL
v.10b “you would have asked him and he would have given you living water.”
The living water Jesus is offering is really the Holy Spirit empowering your heart to experience the love, the presence, the pardon, the friendship and grace of Jesus.
- You don’t change because you have to, because you want to…it fills you.
C. Change is a PROCESS
- Jesus gently and patiently directs the conversation, while she tries to redirect it.
- The process is organic; it takes time. (ill. a wall vs a tree)
D. The Change Jesus brings is DEEP
v.13 Jesus answered, “Everyone who drinks this water will be thirsty again,
14 but whoever drinks the water I give them will never thirst.
- It’s about soul-satisfaction
- It’s about worship; and everyone worships.
“What we are worshiping we are becoming.” Our deities shape our identities.
II. How Jesus changes us
- By the GIFT of Living Water,
- He is the living water, who alone can satisfy