The Chosen: Signs
Water to Wine: A sign
- Miracles are a demonstration of God’s power, where people respond with awe and wonder.
- Signs point to something BEYOND the miracle
- They reveal what is hidden
- What this sign tells us:
- They saw and believed
And the disciples saw the sign and they believed in him. (v.11b)
- We do not live beyond what we believe.
- What I believe, is demonstrated by how I live.
- The sign revealed his glory
What Jesus did here in Cana of Galilee was the first of the signs
through which he revealed his glory. (v11a)
- “Glory” literally means “fatness” or “weightiness.”
- It also refers to “significance” or “importance.”
- We are CHOSEN to reveal his glory.
- Why THIS sign?
a.Wine is a symbol of joy.
“These things I have spoken to you, that my joy may be in you, and that your joy may be full.” (John 15:11)
b. It pointed to the Cross
- Conditions for Miracles to Happen
v3 When the wine was gone, Jesus’ mother said to him,
“They have no more wine.”
- Miracles happen when we honestly face the fact – I’m out.b.Obedient
v.5 “Whatever he says, do it”
- Faith doesn’t always make sense, but it makes miracles.