1 Corinthians 1:17-25
Today everybody wants to be “killing it.”
- One way companies try to “kill it” is through branding.
- A good logo is not just memorable. It’s compelling.
- Jesus brand: a cross.
“The world’s religions have certain traits in common, but until the gospel of Jesus Christ burst upon the Mediterranean world, no one in the history of human imagination had conceived of such a thing as the worship of a crucified man.” Fleming Rutledge
Corinth and the Cross
– Corinth was the place you came to “kill it”
– Crucifixion was anything but advancement:
It maximized pain
It maximized humiliation
– Paul highlighted the cross and it’s message (I Corinthians 1:22)
Three alternative brands, three logos
(which one you would prefer for your own life as your own personal brand)
- The Jews demand signs (power, control, influence, ability to dominate)
- The Greeks look for wisdom (honor, wealth, status, intelligence)
- Followers of Jesus: “but we preach Christ crucified” (an oxymoron)
“When I came to you, I did not come with eloquence or human wisdom…”.. For I resolved to know nothing while I was with you except Jesus Christ and him crucified.” (1 Corinthians 1-2)
The Way of the Cross: Galatians 2:20
-is the power of God (It leads to resurrection)
-it begins with full surrender to God
– it means loving self-sacrifice
Jesus chose the image of the cross, before he ever died on one. (Luke 9:24)
The challenge: Live in the way of the Cross, at work, at home, in school, on the road etc.
The way of the Cross is the power of God.
We are more than conquerors (Rom 8:36)
We are rich in him (2 Corinthians 8:9)
Wisdom (Colossians 2:3)
Eternal life (John 3:16)
Want to kill it? Choose the way of the cross